Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Firenze!

I made it to Florence by 2:30ish in the afternoon on Monday, no problems, no lost luggage, no crazy airport stories. I'm still amazed. My study abroad coordinator, Richard, was there to meet me. My roommate, Tara, had landed at almost the exact same time as I did so we met right then and there.

It's just the two of us in our apartment, which has three bedrooms. It's so nice!

My Bedroom!

Nice big closet :)

Looking out of my door onto the kitchen-
Love the archway!


Please notice the washing machine (!!!!!)

And dish washer! (The refrigerator is next to the window)


Out my window to the right

Out my window the the right

The dark stairs of death that are three flights
and take us to and from our apartment.

 Isn't it cute!? I can't believe it's so nice.

So today was my first full day in Firenze. Richard met us at our apartment and we were off to explore for the day! We walked around seeing places of interest, for bars, restaurants, trattorias, markets and anything else we might need. We walked by the Uffizi museum, Ponte Vecchio, which was my favorite. I rented a cute little bike that I can see from my window, which is nice since they tend to be stolen. We stopped by Santa Reparata just to see where it is. Then we ventured over to Il Duomo, which I had been looking forward to the most. And it was beautiful! More than pictures can show.

And while I was riding into the main square of Il Duomo, I experienced my first Jersey Shore encounter! Vinny and Pauly D walked right in front of my bike with their film crew tagging along. I laughed, stopped, and by the time I thought to get my camera out they were almost out of sight, but I got what I could.

Tara and I rubbing the Bore's nose and dropping
 a coin out of his mouth for good luck!

View from Ponte Vecchio

Ponte Vecchio itself 
Santa Maria Novella

Il Duomo-
with Vinny and Pauly D waaay in the background to the left :)

Those were my adventures for the day. I also ventured out to il mercado to buy some food, and that may have been the worst experience I've ever had at a grocery store! I didn't know where I was going, and I had no idea what I was doing. But I figured enough things out, remembered enough Italian, and got the essentials. We'll probably check out a local market sometime soon and stock up on fresh produce.

Orientation for class isn't until Thursday, so until then I don't think we'll be getting to know many people. My Italian is doing alright, and I can understand enough and speak enough to figure most things out.

All in all, it's been a good first day, and I can't wait for the days that follow!

A domani,

Kelly


1 comment:

  1. Those stairs of death are creeepy! haha
    But super cute girl! Be sure to write more about the Jersey Shore boys ;)

    ReplyDelete